Tuesday, June 30, 2009

iPod versus Walkman

From the BBC News UK Magazine, "When the Sony Walkman was launched, 30 years ago this week, it started a revolution in portable music. But how does it compare with its digital successors? The Magazine invited 13-year-old Scott Campbell to swap his iPod for a Walkman for a week."

The result, a pretty funny article with the kid making some interesting discoveries, including one where the Walkman had one feature that, get this, beat out the iPod.

The funniest quote for me, "I mistook the metal/normal switch on the Walkman for a genre-specific equaliser, but later I discovered that it was in fact used to switch between two different types of cassette."

Personally, I remember my Walkman with a lot of fondness. There were days when we were inseparable, but to date, nothing beats Mr. Jobs' little doohickey. It's a wonderful piece of technology for music lovers and is leading a seismic change in the music industry.

No comments: