Friday, June 12, 2009

Searching for an alternative to DEET

DEET. It is the gold standard in repelling mosquitoes, and in high concentrations there is no doubt that the stuff really works. However, it would be great if there was something more natural and less chemical-based to apply to my kids. With all the rain lately we have been the recipient of swarms of "skeeters" in our back yard, some coming close to the size of sanitation trucks and their bites are downright nasty.

Also, when I am Disc Golfing, since the courses are in wooded parks, I practically bathe in the stuff beforehand and I find when I get home that I have a headache and just don't feel right. A typical 18 hole round lately has found me applying the stuff 3 to 4 times during the round as well. The off-kilter feeling goes away fairly quickly after I shower and get the stuff off me, but I can't imagine that so much of it soaking through my pores for so long (2-6 hours) can be good for my long term health.

This article has some interesting products. Does anyone have any that have really worked for them?

UPDATE - 09/01/09. I can't wait for these guys to finish their research and bottle their findings.

No comments: