Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Flight 007

On September 1st, 1983 Korean Air Lines flight 007 was shot down by the Soviets over the Sea of Japan because it was off course and flying in prohibited Soviet air space. All 269 passengers aboard were killed. I remember that this incident affected me, not because I knew anyone aboard the plane, but because I just could not believe that such an act could occur outside of an established, ongoing war. Even within a war, shooting down an unarmed civilian aircraft is a heinous act. The Soviets knew this and initially denied knowledge of the incident, but eventually had to own up to the act. I wrote a short poem about it that day and 26 years later, on the anniversary of this tragic incident I put it on this blog. Poem after the jump.

Flight 007

Why should I mind? Why do I care?
Thought the pilot as he started to pray.
We are being shot out of the air,
And one can but die on one’s death-day.

Why do we live? Why are we here?
Then the jet was a ball of flame.
Upon death there is nothing to fear,
And yet who will shoulder the blame.

No comments: