Friday, March 6, 2009

Japanese Haiku

A reader, Fiammetta, asks if I like Haiku. The answer is I do like Japanese Haiku, very much. The Haiku, developed as a distinct form in the sixteenth century, reflects certain emphases in the Zen philosophy. In fact the Haiku is still used in Japan today and has had much influence over American and European poets of this century, many of whom I admire. Haiku has whittled down all verse to its purest form and is pure poetry, from which every non-essential element such as story-telling (something I am guilty of in its inherent long-winded form, even in blogging), moralizing or philosophizing (also guilty) has been eliminated. It is pure art, stripped of everything but sheer expression. Two of my favorite Haikus, from the masters Sokan and Onitsura after the jump.

If to the moon
one puts a handle-what
a splendid fan!

Sokan (1465-1553)

On top of skeletons
they put a gala dress, and then-
the flower-viewing!

Onitsura (1660-1738)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's interesting when I saw your writing.
I'm just suddenly think... Two poem was presented here, have a meeting point. They put something on the context to awake a attractive and subtle beauty. The first is a full-moon behind the branch of a tree, and the second is the symbol of spring on the cherry-tree.
I like haiku, special Basho's poem. There're many deeply signification in his works.
The spirit journey is a profound idea.
Sick on a journey
my dreams wander
the withered fields
- Basho

T. T. Douglas said...

Yes, I agree, Basho is a true master of the form.