Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Bona Drag

Released in 1990, this CD is a compilation offering with a string of singles that made British musician Morrissey popular (especially in the U.S.) as a solo artist after his split from the Smiths. Classified under alternative rock, I have seen the style of music on this CD described as “jangle pop” or “jangle pop-rock.” The album name means "nice outfit" and is an example of the subculture slang Polari. The CD is relatively mellow, with some speedier tempo tunes and interesting lyrics. Morrissey’s songs make you listen and think, and while you may not like them all, they are certainly unique in their outlook and message. My favorite songs on this album are Piccadilly Palare, November Spawned a Monster and Everyday is like Sunday. Piccadilly Palare, the first song on the album, begins with the following lyrics, “Off the rails I was and off the rails I was happy to stay. Get out of my way.” Kind of autobiographical if you ask me and a heads up on what to expect for the rest of this CD.

No comments: