Monday, February 16, 2009

Down The Road

Best known for his work with Buffalo Springfield and Crosby, Stills & Nash (and Young), Stephen Stills has released solo works and other projects as well. A prolific singer/songwriter and guitarist, Stills formed the band Manassas and released this 1973 album. While classified under the Rock genre this album is a mixture of blues, folk and Latin music divided into different sections, and is considered by many to be one of Stills' best albums.

The first time I listened to this album I was extremely surprised to hear Stills singing fluently in Spanish on two excellent tracks (Pensamiento and Guaguanco de Vero) and they are by far my favorites. The rest of the album for me is standard fare and I prefer Stills’ work with the two afore-mentioned bands, but I definitely enjoy it every once in a while, especially because of the two Latin flavored tracks.

No comments: