Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Skylarking

I know many might disagree with me, but I feel that this is by far XTC’s best album. Known for their unusual melodies and clever lyrics, for me what has always been missing from their prodigious output was that final coat of varnish which would put the ultimate shine on their work. They got it on this 1986 release, thanks to Todd Rundgren’s masterful production, which with magical alchemy, blends each track beautifully and effortlessly into the next .

There are so many excellent songs on this CD that it makes it hard to pick a favourite, but if pressed I would have to pick The Man Who Sailed Around His Soul because of the lyrics. Nevertheless, Dear God and Another Satellite are right up there with it. If you are not familiar with XTC, do not expect rudimentary, pop-tune constructions with predictable choruses, but rather complex songs which make you sit up and pay attention to every chord and word. This album needs to be listened to in its entirety, so pop it in only if you have some time.

Here is Dear God.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

These guys rock!! I love XTC!!!!!