Saturday, June 27, 2009

Why We Suck

I just finished reading Dennis Leary’s book, Why We Suck. Full disclosure, I like Dennis Leary. I have always liked his stand up, his CD’s, his movies and his T.V. shows so it’s not surprising that I should like his book. It’s basically one long rant and hard for anyone to read through and not be offended at some point. But in a culture which deifies never-were celebrities like Paris Hilton and Anna Nicole Smith and which blames society for every ill while holding the offender who caused the ill to begin with blameless, Leary’s book is the proverbial breath of fresh air, albeit nicotine-laden.

I found myself bursting out laughing at some of his passages while nodding my head in agreement on almost every page. Leary obviously uses hyperbole to get his point across at some stages, but that just makes the book that much funnier and on target. If you want to know what’s wrong with our effete, dumbed down, drug-addled national psyche these days then Dr. Dennis Leary’s book is for you. But if you can’t laugh at yourself and others then don’t read this book because as Dennis Leary points there are endless things you can buy in America - but a sense of humor isn't one of them.

No comments: