Monday, December 21, 2009

Shutting down SAAB

This is depressing news for all SAAB enthusiasts as you can see by the depressed expression on the faces in the picture of the article. I have owned two SAABs in my life and absolutely loved both of them. The first was a 1979 fuel injected four speed GL99 which was a delight to drive. The car was perky, fit anywhere and was a wonderful vehicle. Here is one pictured below and to the left.


Next up in 1987 I brought a brand new five speed SAAB 900 base model with all of its features manual. That car was a beast and also a lot of fun to drive. It took me everywhere and when you put the back seat down you could fit a coke machine in the back. The only downside was that whenever someone was moving they always called me to help, because as I said, you wouldn't believe the amount of stuff you could fit in the back. Although not as quick off the mark as my previous GL99, the 900 was also a lot of fun to drive and I felt incredibly safe in it. It gave me 18 years and 250,000 miles of faithful service. It took me everywhere I wanted to go, even into the thick of the aftermath of Hurricane Andrew where lesser cars were left behind, and when our run was over I donated it, still running well, to a single mother in need of transportation. It was on its third clutch when I gave it to her. Here is a picture of a 1987 900 below and to the left.










Circumstances prevented me from purchasing another SAAB and I am sorry to see the cars that were born from jets go. SAAB owners in general have a very curious affinity with their cars which inspires a certain kind of loyalty to the brand. I am sure there are many SAAB stories (no pun intended) being told out there and this is merely one of them.

No comments: