Friday, December 4, 2009

Thursday Night Football

I watched my second Thursday Night football game on the NFL network last night. It was an AFC East match up (Jets vs. Bills) which in theory should interest me since I am a die-hard Dolphins fan. Here is the result of that game for those who want to know the score.

But enough about the game. What I want to talk about are the announcers. First off, this is only my second time listening to play by play man Bob Papa, and so far my grade is an A. The man knows what he is talking about, prepares well, and best of all, calls them as he sees them. No cold feet at all, no ifs, ands or buts, no hemming or hawing, he calls a play as he sees it and stands by his call during the replay and the challenge. Guess what, he is usually right. At least last night, the game that I watched, the man never wavered and everything he said on tape was instinctively right. Now maybe he has a better angle, but perhaps the man should be officiating, because he interpreted what football should be within the context of what the rules are today.

So let's move on to the color man shall we, that lightning rod of controversy himself, Matt Millen. At first I was thinking who would hire this guy to do color commentary? But, surprise, surprise, he was pretty good. He seems to have a handle on everything that is going on in the game. His comments are knowledgeable, straightforward and enlightening. So if he is that good analyzing plays on the fly my question is, how could he have been such an unmitigated disaster and caused the tragedy he did during his tenure in Detroit? What the heck happened?

No comments: