Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Atlas Shrugged, Part I -The Movie

This past Saturday evening I went to see Atlas Shrugged Part I with my wife. It was playing at the twenty movie cineplex in what is definitely the smallest theater they have. After reading all the reviews panning it I must confess I wasn't expecting much, but I should have known better. I was definitely at a different film than the ones the critics watched. The movie was excellent.

In an extremely faithful recreation of Ayn Rand's staggering novel, John Aglialoro has produced what all Rand fans have wished for decades. Taylor Schilling is cast brilliantly as Dagny Taggart. She personifies Rand's heroine perfectly, with steely determination and an icy, sensual charm. Scenes from the book come across intact, with word for word dialogue just as Ayn Rand penned them.

As in any movie adapted from a book some shortcuts have to be taken (even to make a Part I such as this is) fit, but the spirit and essence is there, leaving the viewer wanting more. I just hope John Aglialoro hangs in there and makes part II and III as promised. I for one will be waiting in line to see them both.

No comments: